|author||H. Peter Anvin <firstname.lastname@example.org>||2009-03-28 17:24:03 -0700|
|committer||H. Peter Anvin <email@example.com>||2009-03-28 17:27:15 -0700|
bzip2/lzma: don't ask for compression mode for the default initramfs
Impact: Kconfig noise reduction, documentation The default initramfs is so small that it makes no sense to worry about the additional memory taken by not double-compressing it. Therefore, don't bug the user with it. Also, improve the description of the option, which was downright incorrect. Signed-off-by: H. Peter Anvin <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Diffstat (limited to 'usr/Kconfig')
1 files changed, 22 insertions, 10 deletions
diff --git a/usr/Kconfig b/usr/Kconfig
index a529b4d0530b..588c588791e2 100644
@@ -72,23 +72,24 @@ config RD_LZMA
Support loading of a LZMA encoded initial ramdisk or cpio buffer
If unsure, say N.
prompt "Built-in initramfs compression mode"
- This setting is only meaningful if the INITRAMFS_SOURCE is
- set. It decides by which algorithm the INITRAMFS_SOURCE will
- be compressed.
- Several compression algorithms are available, which differ
- in efficiency, compression and decompression speed.
- Compression speed is only relevant when building a kernel.
- Decompression speed is relevant at each boot.
+ This option decides by which algorithm the builtin initramfs
+ will be compressed. Several compression algorithms are
+ available, which differ in efficiency, compression and
+ decompression speed. Compression speed is only relevant
+ when building a kernel. Decompression speed is relevant at
+ each boot.
If you have any problems with bzip2 or LZMA compressed
initramfs, mail me (Alain Knaff) <email@example.com>.
- High compression options are mostly useful for users who
- are low on disk space (embedded systems), but for whom ram
- size matters less.
+ High compression options are mostly useful for users who are
+ low on RAM, since it reduces the memory consumption during
If in doubt, select 'gzip'
@@ -133,3 +134,14 @@ config INITRAMFS_COMPRESSION_LZMA
smaller with LZMA in comparison to gzip.
+# The builtin initramfs is so small so we don't want to bug the user...
+ default y